St. Paul Hospital on Bryan Street, first African-American physicians admitted to practice

sph_00017_1.jpg

Title

St. Paul Hospital on Bryan Street, first African-American physicians admitted to practice

Subject

Physicians--organization & administration; African Americans--history; Hospitals--manpower; Race Relations--history

Description

In 1954, St. Paul Hospital became the first in Dallas to admit African-American physicians to practice. The five physicians admitted were Dr. Lee G. Pinkston (seated), Dr. Frank H. Jordan, Dr. Joseph R. Williams, Dr. William K. Flowers, and Dr. George L. Shelton (standing, left to right). Prior to this time, the only hospital facilities available to African-American physicians in Dallas had been the Pinkston Clinic, a 15-bed clinic operated by Dr. Pinkston. If a patient needed to go into another hospital, the patient was assigned a white physician for hospital care. The Texas Medical Association would not admit African-Americans to membership until 1955. Dallas County Medical Society followed suit the same year. In 1956, St. Paul admitted seven African-American physicians to the staff.

Creator

Unknown

Date

Milestone date: 1954
Creation date: 1954

Rights

Copyright of this item is managed by UT Southwestern Library, or we have been unable to identify the copyright holder. If you can help us identify the copyright holder, please contact UT Southwestern Library.

Identifier

sph_00017

Geolocation

Citation

Unknown, “St. Paul Hospital on Bryan Street, first African-American physicians admitted to practice,” Exhibits, accessed April 24, 2018, http://utswlibrary.omeka.net/items/show/3.