1890 to 1899
Modern Medical Care Begins in Dallas
The years 1890 to 1899 saw the beginnings of modern medical care in Dallas. In 1894, the new Parkland Hospital on the outskirts of town replaced the tiny City Hospital, which had been in a disreputable downtown neighborhood. The Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul arrived in 1896, and two years later opened a new state-of-the-art 110-bed hospital, St. Paul Sanitarium.