1930 to 1945
Hospital Options Grow; Medical Education is in Flux
Hospital care options continued to grow in the 1930s and 1940s. Bradford Memorial Hospital for Babies opened in 1930. In 1940, two hospitals began operation: Children’s Hospital of Texas and the Veteran’s Administration Hospital. In 1939, Southwestern Medical Foundation began, with a mission of strengthening medical education in Dallas. In 1943—just after Baylor College of Medicine moved from Dallas to Houston—the Foundation opened Southwestern Medical College in a group of prefabricated plywood buildings behind Parkland Hospital. Throughout these years, St. Paul Hospital continued to provide free and low-cost medical care to the medically underserved.