Southwestern Medical College campus, overview from Parkland Hospital, circa 1946

uts_00002_1.jpg

Title

Southwestern Medical College campus, overview from Parkland Hospital, circa 1946

Subject

Hospital Design and Construction--history; Schools, Medical--history; Hospitals, Teaching

Description

Southwestern Medical College opened in the fall of 1943, under the auspices of the Southwestern Medical Foundation.The College was housed in prefabricated plywood buildings (often called "the shacks") on Oak Lawn Avenue behind Parkland Hospital, which served as the College's teaching hospital. (This view of the College was taken from a window of Parkland Hospital.) It was the third medical school in Texas at this time, with Baylor University College of Medicine in Dallas and the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston being the other two. When Baylor departed Dallas for Houston in April of 1943, some faculty and students stayed and moved to Southwestern. The School remained in "the shacks" until a new building was completed in 1955.

Creator

Unknown

Date

Milestone date:1943
Creation date: Circa 1946

Rights

Copyright of this item is managed by UT Southwestern Library, or we have been unable to identify the copyright holder. If you can help us identify the copyright holder, please contact UT Southwestern Library.

Identifier

uts_00002

Geolocation

Citation

Unknown, “Southwestern Medical College campus, overview from Parkland Hospital, circa 1946,” Exhibits, accessed July 16, 2018, https://utswlibrary.omeka.net/items/show/29.