Baylor University Hospital, Truett Building

ext_00008.jpg
ext_00008v.jpg

Title

Baylor University Hospital, Truett Building

Subject

Hospitals, University; Hospitals, Religious; Hospitals--history; Hospital Design and Construction--economics; Gift Giving

Description

In 1950, Baylor University Hospital opened the new Truett Building, which featured the luxuries of air conditioning and telephones in all patient rooms. With this building, Baylor became the fifth largest general hospital in the United States. The building was named for George W. Truett, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, whose passionate support for creation of the hospital in the early 1900's led wealthy cattleman and devout Baptist C.C. Slaughter to provide $200,000 in funding.

Creator

Unknown

Publisher

John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, Houston, Texas.

Date

Milestone date: 1950
Creation date: circa 1951

Rights

John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library: Electronic Resource Use

Identifier

ext_00008

Rights Holder

John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, Houston, Texas. Texas Healthcare Facilities Postcards, IC 91

Geolocation

Citation

Unknown, “Baylor University Hospital, Truett Building,” Exhibits, accessed July 16, 2018, https://utswlibrary.omeka.net/items/show/53.