Parkland Hospital on Maple Avenue with Dr. Florence, four nurses, and horse-drawn ambulance

ext_00014.jpg

Title

Parkland Hospital on Maple Avenue with Dr. Florence, four nurses, and horse-drawn ambulance

Subject

Hospitals--history; Patient Care--history; Medical Staff; Community Health Services--history; Nursing Staff, Hospital; Ambulances--history

Description

Dr. John Hicks Florence stands in front of Parkland Hospital with four nurses carrying a patient just removed from a horse-drawn ambulance. Dr. Florence was the City Health Officer from 1898 to 1902. His family lived with him at Parkland, and his children are seen on the porch. Parkland purchased its horse-drawn ambulance in 1894, but the horse was not purchased until two years later. In 1899, rubber tires were added " as a necessary act of humanity. "

Creator

Unknown

Publisher

From the collections of the Texas/Dallas History and Archives Division Dallas Public Library.

Date

Milestone date: 1900
Creation date: 1900

Rights

This item may be copyright protected. If so, fair use printing and downloading are allowed for educational purposes only. Distribution, particularly for commercial purposes, requires permission from Dallas Public Library.

Identifier

ext_00014

Rights Holder

Dallas Public Library

Geolocation

Citation

Unknown, “Parkland Hospital on Maple Avenue with Dr. Florence, four nurses, and horse-drawn ambulance,” Exhibits, accessed September 23, 2021, https://utswlibrary.omeka.net/items/show/49.