Browse Items (111 total)

sph_00003_1.jpg
Emergency operating room in the St. Paul Sanitarium. The corner windows provided good light, as well as ventilation. The fee for use of an operating room was $5.

sph_00005_1.jpg
X-ray room in the St. Paul Sanitarium: The x-ray department was staffed by a technician and a part-time radiologist. X-rays were taken in the same room where film was developed and viewed.

sph_00006_1.jpg
Pharmacy in the St. Paul Sanitarium: The Pharmacy staff--a director, pharmacist, and assistant--compounded drugs ordered by physicians.

sph_00007_1.jpg
Main kitchen in the St. Paul Sanitarium: Food from this kitchen was delivered by dumbwaiter in bulk to a diet kitchen on each floor, where it was prepared for delivery to patients. Dishes and silverware were stored on each floor.

hom_00048_1.jpg
A nurse and student nurse (in black stockings) stand in an operating room at Methodist Hospital of Dallas. Methodist Hospital had a nursing school, as did St. Paul, Parkland, and Baylor hospitals in Dallas.

pmh_00030_1.jpg
In 1962, Parkland Memorial Hospital created one of the largest adult civilian burn units in the country by setting aside 16 beds with their own nursing station. Pioneering burn therapies developed at Parkland have been adopted throughout the United…

sph_00017_1.jpg
In 1954, St. Paul Hospital became the first in Dallas to admit African-American physicians to practice. The five physicians admitted were Dr. Lee G. Pinkston (seated), Dr. Frank H. Jordan, Dr. Joseph R. Williams, Dr. William K. Flowers, and Dr.…

hom_00012_1.jpg
In 1966, Presbyterian Hospital completed this new 350-bed building on Walnut Hill Lane in north Dallas, an area which was then on the outskirts of the city.

hom_00007_1.jpg
Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children opened in Dallas in 1921 in this building near the corner of Oak Lawn and Maple Avenues. A founder and the chief of surgery was Dr. Willam Beal Carrell, the first orthopedic surgeon in Dallas, who had…

hom_00006_1.jpg
This group of photos showing the interior of the Baylor College of Medicine building appeared in the College's 1903-04 "Annual Announcement". From top to bottom, the rooms portrayed are labeled as College Operating Room, Operating Room, and Chemical…